Self Drive Breaks
The open roads await for your self drive holiday. There are lots of great destinations around the UK to choose from. Plus the many different accommodation options. Are you looking for a quiet cottage holiday, a hotel with spa treatments, right in the city centre or near the coast? This will also depend on what self drive holiday you are after. Are you going away for a family break and looking for lots to do. A romantic break in a self drive hotel with a good restaurant. Perhaps just a hotel for a base to explore a nearby destination. Once you decide on the type of break if you don't already know you can look at the most suitable options. There are loads!
5 Reasons to Take a Self Drive Holiday in the UK
- There are lots of great destinations to choose from.
- You can go to the beach, a castle, shopping, cycling and so much more.
- There are lots of different accommodation options from camping to luxury hotels in their own grounds
- The freedom to do what you want, when you want.
- Leave direct from your own home with no luggage restrictions.
What to Look for in Your Self Drive Break?
Regardless of what type of break you are thinking of there are some things to consider that you may not have thought of. Probably the most important is whether the accommodation you have chosen has car parking. There is no point in going on drive holidays if you end up with endless hassle if there is no parking. Some of the options will depend on what type of self drive break you are considering. Here, we’ve put together a list of questions to ask yourself that will help you find the perfect self drive accommodation.
- Parking facilities – You don't want to worry about parking. See if parking is included
- Pet Friendly – Take the family pet, make sure the accommodation is pet friendly
- Beach nearby – You may want an early morning swim!
- Indoor heated pool – Keep the kids happy in case of bad weather.
- Spa & Beauty facilities – For a complete weekend of relaxation.
- Wheelchair Access – Check the accommodation is suitable.
- Nearby Activities – Fishing, Golf, Cycling, walks etc.
- Entertainment – Some accommodation offers some evening entertainment.
- Kids Facilities – Play park, swings or play areas on-site or nearby.
- WiFi – Perfect for more remote accommodation.
- En-Suite – Do you want en-suite facilities?
- Electric vehicles – Electric vehicle charging points.
- Pub/Restaurants Nearby – Leave the car for a night out?
- View – Do you want accommodation with a view.
- Private Hot tub – Some cottages & holiday lodges offer private hot tubs.
Cottage Holidays – A Home from Home?
Cottage holidays are a great option for drive holidays. Whether it’s the countryside, coast or mountains you want to explore, there are plenty of Cottage holiday options to choose from. Cottages are a great alternative to hotels and B&Bs. Cottages can be cheaper, more private, and give you a chance to get out into nature and explore. Ideal for a few days away, a full week or longer. Cottages with hot tubs are quite common and popular. If you want a hot tub you can usually add that option to the search filters.
Cottage holidays are also good for larger groups of friends or two or three families looking to spend time together. Obviously you would need to travel in more than one car so make sure there is ample parking.
There a number companies offering Cottage drive holidays. Some are regional and others have cottages throughout the UK. So if you don't want to travel far you have that option.
While you might think of a cottage holiday as a summertime activity, it is also a great idea for winter trips away. Cottages have all the amenities you need to stay warm and cosy during the colder months.
Holiday Parks Drive Holidays
Whether you’re looking for a fun family holiday or a relaxing break with friends, a holiday park in the UK is ideal for a great weekend away or longer. In fact, many people choose to stay at holiday parks all year round as they offer so much more than just accommodation.
Holiday Parks have changed over the years and offer modern accommodation options. Most holiday parks are like a mini village and offer restaurants, entertainment and activities. Holiday parks are really popular with families as they offer something for everyone. From indoor and outdoor pools to crazy golf and other activities, there’s plenty of fun to be had.
Holiday Park accommodation options include static caravans that can usually sleep up to 8. Alternatively there are options like glamping all the way through to luxury lodges and chalets.
There are lots of different Holiday Park companies to choose from. Haven Holidays have 37 different parks to choose from in 16 different regions covering Wales, England & Scotland. Not far behind in numbers is Park Holidays who offer 31 family parks. Smaller companies include Shorefield Holidays who have just five parks located Hampshire & Dorset. Away Resorts have six parks with a nice variety of accommodation types in Wales to Essex & the Isle of Wight
Holiday Parks, Where Can I Go?
- Haven Holidays (30+ Parks) – England, Wales & Scotland > click here
- Park Holidays (30+ Parks) – South coast of England > click here
- Away Resorts (6 Parks) – Wales to Essex & the Isle of Wight > click here
- Park Leisure Holidays (4 Parks) – Cornwall, North Wales & Yorkshire > click here
- John Fowler (12 Parks) – Devon, Cornwall, Somerset & Wales > click here
- Pure Leisure Holiday Parks (16 Parks) – England & Wales with 6 in the Lake District area > click here
- Shorefield Holidays (5 Parks) – Dorset & Hampshire, England > click here
What's Better Self Drive or a Coach Holiday
Self drive breaks are a great way to enjoy a short break with added freedom you wouldn't get on a coach trip. The main benefit of a coach holiday is that someone else does the driving. You can easily replicate all other aspects of a coach trip with the added advantage that self drive holidays offer. Plus there are no problems with social distancing if you are travelling in your own car.
You can make your own way direct to the hotel rather than have to go to a coach pickup point. You can set the pace of the drive to your destination and stop and start when you want. Perhaps deviate off the route to see an attraction or simply stop when you discover some amazing scenery.
Many of the coach companies are tied up with their own hotels around the country or have some kind of special deals with others. So they use their own hotels as a base and offer day trips during your stay. You can easily see where they are going and take a similar route and make your own tour. Plus you can stay at an attraction as long as you like as you are running to your own schedule, it's your car!
The main advantage of a coach holiday compared to drive holidays is that someone needs to drive. This can be annoying if the driver wants to have a few glasses of wine with a meal or some drinks at the hotel bar. Some people don't drink and enjoy driving so it's up to to to decide what's best for you.
Book Self Drive Hotels the Coach Companies Use!
Just because you are not booking a coach tour doesn't mean you can't stay in the same hotels. Alfa Travel own over twenty hotels throughout the UK from Fort William in Scotland to the Isle of Wight in England. Alfa Travel actually offer special deals on drive holidays at all the destinations they feature.
Just Go Holidays who also offer coach holidays also have a big range of hotels throughout Britain. Plus they offer hotel and event deals. So if you are looking to combine a trip to the Cheltenham Gold Cup or visit Historic Houses around England
If you have been on a coach holiday before and stayed in one of the Leisureplex hotels you can book a self drive hotel break for durations from just two to 7 nights. These hotels generally offer evening entertainment. Plus the price includes dinner and a full British breakfast. The only thing you don't get is the coach excursions. Simply find out where they are going and drive there yourself.
Alfa Travel & Leisureplex Hotel locations
- Fort William
- Bognor Regis
- Great Yarmouth
Hotel Drive Holidays
Book a hotel and drive there! Nothing really exciting about that and yet we have all done this for years! Not anymore now you can book a self drive break hotel with something more than just a room for the night. Sometimes that's OK if you are on-route and stop for a break cause you are travelling on a long drive to your destination. But there is no need to base drive holidays round a boring hotel.
There are lots of hotel options you could look for. The most popular is probably the ones that include an evening meal on one of the two nights you are staying. Possibly even a cheeky bottle of prosecco as well. Could you do even better? What about a walking break offer with access to some great nearby walking locations. However you may just be looking for somewhere to stay as a base to explore and don't care what the accommodation is like. Obviously it has to be clean and comfortable and have ample car parking.
A Spa hotel break can also offer treatments and usually comes with access to a gym, Sauna and a swimming pool. A walking break offers access to some great nearby walking locations.
Warner Leisure Hotels
For an adult only hotel break there are fourteen properties in the Warner Leisure Hotels portfolio. The hotel collection is made up from historic castles and manors rescued and renovated. You can choose from countryside escapes to a hotel in a village by the sea. The Warner breaks are located in England and Wales. You can book for bed & breakfast only or include an evening meal and enjoy the special live shows if you want, you have the option to choose. Some of the hotels offer indoor swimming pools, bowling greens and beautiful landscaped gardens.
Self Drive Holidays Hotels
- Warner Hotels – 14 adult only properties. > click here
- Great Little Breaks – Country, coastal, dinning, walking, romantic and luxury breaks > click here
- Spa Breaks – For couples, families and luxury breaks
- Theatre Breaks – Get London accommodation and show tickets for one great price.
- Omega Breaks – London hotels and theatre ticket deals > click here